Thursday, December 5, 2013

SHILO ENGELBRECHT

 Shilo in the Melbourne store Ganim, photo by Sean Fennessy

 Image of one of Shilo's table clothes

Bedspread and pillows designed by Shilo's



I first came across Shilo when I saw The Design Files' write up on her. This is her first textile collection and I must admit I'm blown away!! Its so lovely to see the real possibilities that digital printing can create. Every brush stroke shows up on these textiles and that's something I love, not only can the artwork be on our walls but on our couch, beds and tables too. 

Born in Cape Town, Shilo Engelbrecht migrated with her family to Australia where she undertook a Fine Arts Degree in Fashion/Textiles. She was awarded the “Mercedes Benz Start Up” prize for her graduate collection and the “Emerging Designer of the Year” by the Design Institute of Australia. Shilo has shown her work at the Powerhouse Museum, G’Day L.A, Craft Victoria and held textile workshops for children’s festivals and The Cerebral Palsy League of Australia. Shilo lives with her Swedish partner in Cambridge where she has a studio.

"The paintings were an exercise in spontaneity and have an emphasis on brush strokes and colour. They tell a personal story about my journey in Europe over the last few years and document my natural surroundings." Shilo 





No comments:

Post a Comment